Oats are among the healthiest grains on earth.
They’re a gluten-free whole grain and a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants.
Studies show that oats and oatmeal have many health benefits.
These include weight loss, lower blood sugar levels and a reduced risk of heart disease.
Here are 9 evidence-based health benefits of eating oats and oatmeal.
What Are Oats and Oatmeal?
Oats are a whole-grain food, known scientifically as Avena sativa.
Oat groats, the most intact and whole form of oats, take a long time to cook. For this reason, most people prefer rolled, crushed or steel-cut oats.
Instant (quick) oats are the most highly processed variety. While they take the shortest time to cook, the texture may be mushy.
Oats are commonly eaten for breakfast as oatmeal, which is made by boiling oats in water or milk. Oatmeal is often referred to as porridge.
They’re also often included in muffins, granola bars, cookies and other baked goods.
1. Oats Make an Easy, Balanced Breakfast
– Minerals — oats are rich in a range of important minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants.
One cup (81 grams) of dry oats contains 7.5 grams of fiber, the recommended daily intake of fiber is 25 grams for women and 38 grams for men.
2. Whole Oats Are Rich in Antioxidants, Including Avenanthramides
– Oats May Protect Your Heart and Your Colon. Avenanthramides have been shown to exhibit anti-inflammatory and anti-itching activity, and may provide additional protection against coronary heart disease, colon cancer, and skin irritation. They also may play a role in controlling blood pressure.
3. Oats Contain a Powerful Soluble Fiber Called Beta-Glucan
– Oats are rich in a specific type of fiber called beta-glucan. This particular type of fiber is known to help lower levels of bad cholesterol.
4. They Can Lower Cholesterol Levels and Protect LDL Cholesterol From Damage
– Oats may lower the risk of heart disease by reducing both total and LDL cholesterol (“the bad” cholesteral) and protecting LDL cholesterol from oxidation.
5. Oats Provide Important Vitamins and Minerals
– Nutrient-rich oatmeal contains thiamine, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, selenium, and iron.
6. Oatmeal Is Very Filling and May Help You Lose Weight
– Eating oats appears to help reduce hunger and increase feelings of fullness thereby helping you control your weight.
7. Finely Ground Oats May Help With Skin Care
– They also have anti-inflammatory and anti-itching properties when applied topically to the skin.
8 . Oats Can Lower Cholesterol, Stabilize Blood Sugar, and Help You ‘Go’
– Oats and their fiber content help keep the gastrointestinal tract running smoothly; they can help reduce constipation
The possible health benefits of oats include: reducing the risk of coronary artery disease, lowering levels of cholesterol, and reducing one’s risk of colorectal cancer.
Oats are an incredibly nutritious food packed with important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. In addition, they’re high in fiber and protein compared to other grains. At the end of the day, oats are among the healthiest foods you can eat.